SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF SEVERELY POWERFUL
8-WAY SERVER PLATFORM AND SYSTEM
Tyan and AMD Unleash the Ultimate 8-Way Platform and Server System
Eight-way systems are available now, but access to such systems has been limited to the upper echelon of
many customer bases, limiting the adoption rate and potential for 8-way processing to truly add value to many organizations. Enter the Tyan Thunder K8QW (S4881): the ultimate in 8-way processing platforms, and its
system-level counterpart, the Tyan Transport VX50 (B4881).
TAIPEI, TAIWAN, June 1st, 2005 -
The design and implementation of the Thunder K8QW (S4881) offers the option to upgrade to four or eight-way processing capabilities. Multiple features
are included in the Thunder K8QW such as the following:
- S4881 motherboard supports up to four (4) AMD Opteron 800 Series
- Processors, with single and dual core support
- Optional upgrade to 8-way processing through use of HT4881 and M4881 add-on modules
- Support for up to 128GB registered DDR400 or 256GB registered DDR266 memory
- Dual PCI Express x16 slots (one w/ x16 signal, one w/ x4 signal)
- Three (3) PCI-X expansion slots (two 100MHz and one 133MHz)
- Integrated Broadcom®-based dual gigabit ethernet ports and built-in ATI RAGE XL video
- Onboard NVIDIA Serial ATA-II 3G RAID with levels 0, 1, and 0+1
- Remote management and power management options
- SSI MEB (16" x 13") form factor (for S4881 motherboard)
In addition to the Thunder K8QW, Tyan plans to offer a 4 and 8-way capable barebones server system, the Transport VX50 (B4881), based on the Thunder K8QW platform. Features of this incredible system
- Support for four (4) or eight (8) AMD Opteron 800 Series Processors, depending on addition of HT4881 and M4881 modules
- Capability to configure to 5U rackmount or server-class tower
- Eight (8) hot-swap Serial ATA-II or Ultra320 SCSI drive bays
- Slim CD-ROM and FDD bay support
- 930W or 1350W (1+1) redundant power supply options
- Service and support-centric modular backplane and storage design
- . . . and much more!
"With the introduction of the AMD Opteron 800 series, AMD made it possible for a larger customer audience to realize levels of power and performance previously unavailable to them," said Danny Hsu,
Vice-President of Sales and Marketing at Tyan. "By offering the new Thunder K8QW (S4881) and Transport VX50 (B4881) which both utilize the AMD Opteron 800 series of processors, Tyan has once again given customers the
tools to gain technology leadership."
The Thunder K8QW (S4881) is currently sampling to select customers and will reach mass production levels in late Q3 of this year. The Transport VX50 (B4881) will sample in
late Q3'05, and will reach mass production in Q4'05.
# # # #
Tyan Computer Corporation, founded in 1989 by long-time Intel and IBM executive Dr. T. Symon Chang, designs, manufactures and markets advanced system board
technology. Its products are sold to OEMs, VARs, System Integrators, and Resellers worldwide for a wide range of applications. Tyan enables its customers to be technology leaders by providing scalable,
highly-integrated, reliable platforms for a wide range of applications such as Internet appliances, and server/workstation usage in markets such as CAD, DCC, E&P and HPC. Since its inception, Tyan has
consistently been one of the fastest growing technology companies in the United States. Tyan was named to the prestigious INC 500 in 1997 and 1998 (the 19th fastest growing U.S. company in 1997). Tyan was
also ranked by Deloitte & Touché as one of the USA's "Fast 500", as well as one of Silicon Valley's "Fast 50" companies in 1998. For more information, visit the company's web site at http://www.tyan.com
Copyright© 2005 Tyan
Computer Corporation. All rights reserved. Tyan is a registered trademark of Tyan Computer Corporation. AMD, Opteron are trademarks or registered trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names,
trade names, and brands may be claimed as the property of others. Features, pricing, availability, and specifications are subject to change without notice.