FAQ - Tachyon Graphics Cards Updated: 11/19/03
G9800 PRO-M | G9800 PRO | G9700 PRO |
G9600 PRO-M | G9500 PRO-M |
| G9200-M |
G9000 PRO | TGM FAQ |
General Tachyon FAQs
Yes, you can download any of ATI's reference drivers from their website for use on any Tachyon card. You can find ATI's latest drivers at
- Can I download ATI reference drivers from ATI's website for my Tachyon card? Is that true for all models?
However, you can also download drivers from Tyan's site at
The benefit of loading drivers from ATI's site is that they are updated more often. New drivers may improve card performance.
I am having problems installing my Tachyon graphics card.
What should I do?
Please go here and download our latest Quick Installation Guide to help you through your graphics card installation.
I have been experiencing system hangs since I installed my new Tachyon graphics card. Do you have any suggestions on how to make my system more stable?
Why does the performance of my Tachyon graphics card vary from that of the review sites?
We suggest you first check the following:
ATI driver and Control Panel Update.
If you are overclocking your CPU, memory, and/or graphics card, we suggest you set all components back to default settings.
If you are running a G9800/9700/9500 Series graphics card, make sure you are using at least a 300W power supply.
- Make sure you have uninstalled ALL software related to your old graphics card (including drivers and graphics chipset-specific software).
- Make sure you have the latest BIOS and chipset driver updates for your motherboard. This is especially important for non-Intel chipsets.
- Make sure you do not have an add-in card installed in the PCI slot directly next to your AGP slot. Additionally, you may want to look in your motherboard manual to find out which slot shares
an IRQ with the AGP slot and make sure you do not have an add-in card in that slot.
- Make sure you installed the latest
If those suggestions do not help, try one or more of the following:
- Turn off Fast Writes in the SMARTGART tab of the ATI Control Panel. To access this Control Panel, please click on Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> SMARTGART.
- Turn off Hardware Acceleration in the SMARTGART tab of the ATI Control Panel. To access this Control Panel, please click on Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot.
- Reduce your monitor refresh rate 10MHz in the ATI Control Panel. To access this Control Panel, please click on Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor.
- Set the system bus to AGP 4X in the SMARTGART tab of the ATI Control Panel. To access this Control Panel, please click on Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> SMARTGART.
- Re-install your O/S and then re-install your graphics device drivers.
- Try to install your graphics card on a friend's computer to see if it is indeed a problem with your Tachyon hardware. If your card runs fine on another board, it may be that the card just
isn't compatible with your particular motherboard.
- Send email to mailto:
Please state your specific system configuration (i.e. motherboard, CPU, chipset, memory, add-in cards, power supply, and O/S) and be as specific
about your problem as possible.
Most of the review sites test new cards on high-end motherboards featuring the fastest new motherboards, CPU and memory. If your system configuration
consists of a slower CPU, less memory, an older version of the AGP bus, and/or a different operating system, there is an acute possibility that the overall
performance of your system may differ. Furthermore, there are variations in VPU yields, which also affect performance. You may want to check our website to see
if you have the latest version of our driver - here
What is the Tachyon Graphics Monitor? How do I know if I can use the Tachyon Graphics Monitor with my Tachyon Graphics Card?
Leveraging over a decade of high-end motherboard design expertise, TYAN engineers have built the FIRST ATI chipset-based graphics cards to feature
hardware monitoring via a user-friendly software GUI. The Tachyon Graphics Monitor (TGM) is a software utility for Windows® that was specially designed for the Tachyon Series Graphics Cards. Please go to our
TGM FAQ page to find out
if your card supports the TGM utility.
I am having problems with my Tachyon Graphics Monitor software. What can I do?
Make sure you have the latest TGM update installed and have a copy of the latest TGM manual
handy for reference. If you are still experiencing problems, please send a detailed email with your system configuration to mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is Hydravision and how do I use it?
What is Direct X®?
Do you have any information regarding motherboard compatibility?
What does it mean to be "Certified by ATI?
How do I get multiple monitors to work in Windows 98?
How do I enable TV-Out?
I could not get a display signal on monitor after installing my Tachyon graphics card. Do you have any suggestions for such a problem?
We suggest you do the following in this order:
- Make sure all components of your system (i.e. CPU, memory, HD, etc.) are properly configured. Check to see if your connectors are snugly fastened into place.
- Clear CMOS and update your motherboard BIOS if possible.
- Set the onboard jumper on the back of your card near the heatsink to AGP 4X mode. Basically, switch the small dip switches from the default
left-side position to the right-side. Please refer the picture below.
Choose AGP as your primary graphics and disable onboard graphics in your motherboard BIOS setup, if there is such a BIOS option.
If all of these suggestions fail, please send email to email@example.com
The G9800 PRO was based on the ATI reference card, with a red PCB and VPU-only heatsink. Please see the G9800 PRO specifications page for details.
The G9800 PRO-M was a Tyan-based design, with a blue PCB and front and back heatsinks, which cover both the VPU and memory. Please see the G9800 PRO-M specifications page for details. Furthermore, while the VPU and memory
can be overclocked, the G9800 PRO cannot use the other of functions of the TGM like hardware monitoring and fan speed control that are available on the G9800
PRO-M. However, the VPU and memory are the same on both cards.
- What is the difference between the G9800 PRO and the G9800 PRO-M?
What are the current RADEON 9800 PRO technical issues known?
I am having problems setting up my G9800 PRO-M. Do you have any suggestions?
What is the latest version of the TGM available for download?
Please go to the TGM FAQ page for the latest downloads and information about the TGM.
In order to be quick to the market, TYAN has partnered with ATI to offer Built by ATI reference cards to the market. These cards were built by ATI, but will be branded and serviced by TYAN.
- Why does my G9800 PRO look like an ATI 9800 PRO?
What are the current RADEON 9800 PRO technical issues known?
I am having problems setting up my G9800 PRO. Do you have any suggestions?
Can I use the TGM utility with my G9800 PRO?
Yes, you can use the TGM utility to overclock your VPU and memory, however, you will not have access to other functions like hardware monitoring and fan
speed control. You can download the latest version from the TGM FAQ page:
Please see the following page regarding TGM compatibility for details:
- How can I tell if my Tachyon G9700 PRO supports TGM or not?
Do you have any general information regarding the RADEON 9700 PRO chipset?
What are the current RADEON 9700 PRO issues known?
Can you give me a technical overview of the RADEON 9700 PRO and its capabilities?
I am having problems setting up my G9700 PRO. Do you have any suggestions?
Do you have any information regarding the RADEON 9700 PRO and gaming?
G9600 PRO-M / G9600 PRO-MD
The Tachyon G9600 PRO-MD SKU supports dual-DVI output as well as dual-VGA output, whereas the G9600 PRO-M only supports dual-VGA output.
- What is the difference between the G9600 PRO-M SKU and the G9600 PRO-MD SKU?
What are the current RADEON 9600 PRO issues known?
Can you give me a general overview of the RADEON 9600 PRO and its capabilities?
Do you have any RADEON 9600 PRO Setup Tips?
Do you have any information regarding the RADEON 9600 PRO and gaming?
The graphics core of the ATI 9500 PRO chip and the 9700 chip are essentially the same. It is normal for the device ID to show up as the ATI 9700, as they are
recognized as the same device by the driver and the O/S. This will have no negative impact on the performance of your card. In fact, with the 9700 device ID,
you can overclock the VPU core with the TGM utility that came with your card. Overclocking can improve the performance of certain applications. However, TYAN
does not guarantee the overclockability of your graphics card. Please do so at your discretion.
- Why does the device ID for my Tachyon G9500 PRO show up as 9700 in Windows?
Do you have any general information regarding the RADEON 9500 PRO chipset?
What are the current RADEON 9500 PRO issues known?
Can you give me a technical overview of the card and its capabilities:
Do you have any RADEON 9500 PRO setup tips?
Do you have any information regarding the RADEON 9500 PRO and gaming?
- What are the current RADEON 9200 technical issues known?
Do you have any RADEON 9200 setup tips?
- Do you have any general information about the RADEON 9000 PRO?
What are the current RADEON 9000 PRO issues known?
Can you give me a technical overview of the card and its capabilities?
What are the current gaming issues known with the RADEON 9000 PRO?
What are the CMOS settings by default for this video card?
Note: ATI's Multimedia Center has not been tested and is not supported by the Tachyon Series graphics cards. Provided with each Tachyon graphics card is a copy of
Intervideo's WinDVD 4.0 - the most powerful DVD playback software available with advanced features such as time-stretching and video-desktop. Please refer to the Tachyon Series User's Guide on installation procedures.