FREMONT, USA, July 13th, 2005 - At the Computex 2005 event, attendees were treated to special demonstrations of the new Tyan 4/8-socket scalable high-end server/workstation platform – Thunder K8QW (S4881) – and the accompanying convertible barebones rackmount/tower system, Transport VX50 (B4881). Today, Tyan has unleashed both solutions for worldwide viewing via the Tyan website: http://www.tyan.com
The design and implementation of the Thunder K8QW (S4881) offers the option to upgrade to four or eight-way processing capabilities. Multiple features are included in the Thunder K8QW such as the following:
- Supports up to four (4) AMD Opteron™ 800 Series Processors; both Single and Dual Core support
- Optional upgrade to 8-way processing through use of HT4881 and M4881 add-on modules
- Support for up to 32GB registered DDR400 memory (or 128GB registered DDR333/266)
- Dual PCI Express x16 slots (one w/ x16 signal, one w/ x4 signal)
- Three (3) PCI-X expansion slots (two 100MHz and one 133MHz)
- Integrated Broadcom®-based dual gigabit ethernet ports and built-in ATI RAGE XL™ video
- Onboard NVIDIA Serial ATA-II 3G RAID with levels 0, 1, and 0+1
- Remote management and power management options
- SSI MEB (16" x 13") form factor (for S4881 motherboard)
In addition to the Thunder K8QW, Tyan plans to offer a 4 and 8-way capable barebones server system, the Transport VX50 (B4881), based on the Thunder K8QW platform. Features of this incredible system include:
- Support for four (4) or eight (8) AMD Opteron™ 800 Series Processors, depending on addition of HT4881 and M4881 modules
- Capability to configure to 5U rackmount or server-class tower
- Eight (8) hot-swap Serial ATA-II or Ultra320 SCSI drive bays
- Slim CD-ROM and FDD bay support
- 930W or 1350W redundant power supply options
- Service and support-centric modular backplane and storage design
- ...and much more!
"By leveraging the AMD Opteron™ 800 series processor, and a Direct Connect Architecture, along with the power of Dual Core support, Tyan has been able to deliver not one, but TWO powerful solutions with a high degree of scalability," said Danny Hsu, Vice-President of Sales and Marketing at Tyan. "Through the launch of these two exciting new products, system building customers the world over will be able to realize both gains and lower cost points for solutions previously available only to the enterprise tier."
The Thunder K8QW (S4881) is currently sampling to select customers and will reach mass production levels in late Q3 of this year. The Transport VX50 (B4881) is also currently sampling to select customers and will reach mass production levels in late Q3 of this year.